- Trailer for Our New Video Series: Conversations About Masjid Leadership
- Conversations About Masjid Leadership: Role of the Masjid
- Conversations About Masjid Leadership: Finding the Right Imam
We’ve all seen the magazine ads that look something like:
Seeking well qualified Imam for our masjid in the middle of nowhere. New facility with 50 families. Seeking an Imam with the following qualifications:
- PhD. in Islamic Studies
- Bachelor’s from American university
- Fluent in English, Arabic, and Urdu
- Charismatic khateeb (preferably with lots of popular videos on YouTube)
- 15 years of Imam experience
- Can serve as principal of Islamic school
- Can increase youth involvement
- Teach children how to read Quran
- Teach Sunday School
- Perform weekly halaqahs
- Provide around the clock marital and family counseling
- Leads Tarawih with a voice that sounds like a CD recording
- Accounting, janitorial, and website building experience is a plus
- Superman cape is optional.
So what is a more realistic way to figure out who is qualified to be the masjid imam, or community leader? That’s the question we tackled inPart 2 of Conversations About Masjid Leadership – Finding the Right Imam [for Part 1, click here: The Role of the Masjid].
View the video below, and also make sure to check out the discussion at MuslimMatters as well on the same topic.