Nouman Ali Khan addressing the congregation at a new masjid in Euless, TX [Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex area] with his vision for the community and masjid:
This is not theory. This is not how things should be done. It’s an actual vision in action. A few key highlights:
- No aggressive fundraising.
- Masjids should be started with the purpose of having a place to pray.
- Being economical by not having a massive construction project.
- Understanding what services are offered at nearby masjids and not duplicating them – This masjid will not have a Sunday school or Islamic school.
- Giving freedom to the community to do projects and playing a facilitator role instead of an authoritarian role.
- Focus on running with a functional place quickly instead of waiting to have a fancy place.
- Be fiscally responsible – no loans or spending beyond the means of your community.
- Look for building something sustainable, have a business plan that doesn’t depend on yearly fundraising for expenses.
- Facilitate Muslim businesses in your community.
- 2-3 people should not control all the affairs behind the scenes.